Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Neighborhood Izumi

photo taken in my house by me. I live in fifth floor of the apartment.
Izumi, the southern suburb area of Osaka is where I live in.
Specifically, I live in Tsuruyamadai where is constructed by cutting part of a hill so people live here cannot go almost anywhere without going down a slope.
Conversely, in summer, I have to be covered with sweat by going up a slope to get to my house.

one of the longest slope I go along everyday to go to school
But, I can see nice view spreading at the bottom of a hill.
Through about 20 years life here, almost no sight changed.I guess one characteristic of this area is the huge number of apartment. Each have 5 floors and mass small area. I live on the fifth floor of the apartment that is the sea side of this area so when it's clear sky we can see Awaji-sima, island of Hyogo prefecture, that is beyond the sea.


It's not clear though...
 Although such a small area, more than 10,000 people live in here but usually I don't see so many people when I'm wandering about my hometown.
It's relatively calm to contain so many people so it's hard for me to image such a number of people live in here.

but actually more than 100 apartment here. about 40 to 80 families live in each of them.
 I found interesting film on Youtube that a person takes my hometown.
He walks almost same way to my house from the station.

2 comments:

  1. I used to live in Osaka Sayama-shi and work in Izumigaoka. So I am familiar with the area you are talking about. Especially the part about so many people living there but rarely encountering them. It is truly a bed town - a place where people sleep after working very long days in a far away place. To be honest, I found Sayama to be very lonely and moved away (to Osaka-shi) after only six months.

    I think this post would be interesting for students as they probably would not usually encounter such a place. The video is useful, but since it is in Japanese it might be helpful to have a brief description in English of what we will see in the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very surprised the first time I saw those big buildings while I was sitting in the train. I am not familiar with this at all so it was very interesting for me to read your post. For some reason I think it looks sad because everything is the same beside the number written on the buildings. But the view from your appartment is really nice!

    ReplyDelete